The Regional Universities Forum for Capacity Building in Agriculture (RUFORUM), a network of 148 Universities in 38 African countries will hold its 18th Annual General Meeting (AGM) between 12th and 16th December 2022 at the Harare International Conference Centre in Zimbabwe under the theme “Sustaining African Industrialization through Innovative Agricultural Research, Training and Outreach in the Post COVID-19 Era”. The AGM will be hosted by the Government of Zimbabwe and RUFORUM member Universities in Zimbabwe namely; University of Zimbabwe, Africa University, Bindura University of Science Education, Chinhoyi University of Technology, Great Zimbabwe University, Lupane State University, Marondera University of Agricultural Sciences and Technology, and Midlands State University. Between 800 and 1,000 participants representing higher education leaders, researchers, policy makers, development partners, private sector actors, students, farmers, among other actors will come together to discuss how to work together to accelerate Africa’s knowledge and technology led industrialization.
Signature events that will take place include among others; (i) Meetings of Vice Chancellors, and Principals & Deans from the 148 member Universities; (ii) Ministerial Meetings; iii) Meetings of Policy makers and private sector leaders, (iv) Scientific Conference hosted in partnership with African Crop Science Society, v) other meetings to discuss topical issues for science, technology and innovation development in Africa, (vi) exhibitions to profile research for development outcomes, and (vii) skills enhancement trainings for University researchers, students and other actors.
For details about the Annual General Meeting, please visit the meeting website here.
- Call for Expression of Interest to hold a Side Event
RUFORUM invites interested institutions/organisations and individuals to hold side events relevant to the stakeholder categories that will be present during the Annual General Meeting (AGM) as outlined in (1) above. The side events should be relevant to the overall theme by addressing at least one of the sub- themes of the AGM and Scientific Conference. The Side Event and its outcomes should contribute towards the overall conference outcomes.
The 18th Annual General Meeting’s objectives among others are:
- Profile and inform national governments, development partners and other stakeholders about university’s contribution to continental, regional and national development through higher education and scientific research;
- Provide opportunity for scientists, researchers and students to share their scientific findings and experiences
- Provide a platform for networking among universities and universities & other stakeholders such as private sector to contribute to industrialisation in Africa; and
- Engage governments to support Higher Education in Africa and reflect on progress made in the operationalization of the five (5) continental initiatives in various countries
 A side event is a meeting, training, dialogue, field visit or any other event that is not part of the RUFORUM Governance and mainstream scientific Conference by either members or non-members of the RUFORUM Network. It is held prior to, in parallel, or after the RUFORUM Governance Meetings and mainstream Scientific Conference.