The Centre for Innovative Drug Development and Therapeutic Trials for Africa (CDT-Africa) is a World Bank supported centre of excellence for education and research at Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The main aim of CDT-Africa is to serve as a platform for equitable access to interventions (drugs, vaccines, diagnostics and complex interventions) and bring about sustainable development in Africa through high-quality capacity development for innovative medical discovery and development.
CDT-Africa and Aklilu Lemma Institute of Pathobiology at Addis Ababa University are partnering for joint research and education programs, amongst of which is providing PhD and MSc fellowship opportunities to outstanding students.
As part of this partnership, CDT-Africa plans to provide financial and technical support to African women who would be admitted to pursue PhD in Tropical and Infectious Diseases at Aklilu Lemma Institute of Pathobiology, Addis Ababa University, for the 2019/20 academic year.
To be eligible for this fellowship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Woman nationals in Eastern or Southern Africa other than Ethiopia.
- Hold Master’s degree in biomedical or health sciences from a recognized university and completed their MSc with CGPA ≥ 3.40 or equivalent.
- Submit a preliminary research proposal potential for developing new therapeutic solutions – drugs, diagnostics, vaccines, and complex interventions – to major diseases plaguing Africa relevant to medical discovery and development.
- Successfully pass entrance examination at Aklilu Lemma Institute of Pathobiology, and obtain admission at Addis Ababa University.
- Be able to enrol and attend the program on a full-time basis from 2019-2020 academic year.
- The fellowship covers a modest monthly stipend, dormitory, medical coverage of up to 10,000 birr per year, and funding to support research projects.
Obligations of CDT-Africa
- Assign a Supervisor/co-Supervisor from CDT-Africa Faculty who would actively follow-up and advise the PhD Fellow together with the ALIPB Supervisor/co-Supervisor;
- Facilitate hiring of data collectors needed for implementation of the PhD Fellow’s research project;
- Facilitate national and international level laboratory attachments, training, and internship opportunities to the PhD Fellow in line with the research project and overall academic needs;
- Assess filled purchase requests of the Fellow and conduct procurements timely;
- Review documents submitted by the PhD Fellow;
- Effect payments of field or office level activities of the research project as per AAU financial regulation;
- Conduct financial analysis and monitoring of the funding and regularly update the PhD Fellow to effectively follow and utilize; and
- Application document (CV, motivation letter, PhD project concept note, official transcript and copies of degrees) must be submitted in electronic copy via email to Dr Tsegahun Manyazewal (email: email@example.com) copying Ms Bethelhem Fekadu (email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The motivation letter should describe how the applicant meets the requirements for the PhD fellowship and why she wants to engage in the fellowship.
- The deadline for application is 16 August 2019.
- Interview will be conducted in late August via Skype or alternative methods.