PROGRAM OFFICER – COMMUNICATION, PUBLICITY AND MARKETING
The Regional Universities Forum for Capacity Building in Agriculture (RUFORUM) is a consortium of 85 universities operating in 35 African countries in Africa. RUFORUM’s mission is to strengthen the capacities of universities to foster innovations responsive to demands of small-holder farmers and value chains through the training of high quality researchers, the output of impact oriented research and the maintenance of collaborative working relations among researchers, farmers, national agricultural research institutions and governments.
RUFORUM envisions African universities fully integrated and contributing to national development goals. RUFORUM’s work contributes directly to the Comprehensive African Agricultural Development Program (CAADP) and the Science, Technology and Innovation Strategy for Africa (STISA, 2024) of the African Union that highlight the importance of Agriculture and Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) as a means of stimulating economic development and eradicating poverty on the continent. They also emphasize the need for and importance of high level capacity, particularly postgraduate level training and research including the escalation of PhD training in Africa to which RUFORUM responds.
Communications is central to achieving RUFORUM’s goals. Consequently, RUFORUM is seeking for a well-qualified and motivated candidate to fill the position of Communication, Publicity and Marketing Officer at its Secretariat based at Makerere University Main Campus, Kampala, Uganda. Candidates from outside Uganda are especially encouraged to apply.
Job Identification Information
Job Title: Program Officer – Communication, Publicity and Marketing
Office/ Department/ Unit: Partnerships and Business Management
Reports to: Partnerships and Business Management Manager
The position of Program Officer – Communication, Publicity and Marketing is intended to strengthen the strategic role of RUFORUM Communications, Visibility and Brand to support RUFORUM’s mandate. RUFORUM continues to strengthen its brand, communication products, channels and coverage in the area of Higher Agricultural Education and Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) in Africa. RUFORUM’s increased role as a voice for Higher Education calls for intensified approaches towards a strong and sustainable brand for the network. Hence the need for a Program Officer to support the Communication, Publicity and Marketing of RUFORUM at the Secretariat.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Management of Publications and Outreach activities
- Profiling RUFORUM’s Contribution to Africa’s development
- Promoting visibility of RUFORUM Secretariat and Network activities
- Organizing press conferences and promotions events. Ensure that media contacts are maintained
- Implement communication activities and tools such as; Press releases, Press conferences, Press activities at RUFORUM events, Press requests.
- Ensure that the most effective means and tools are used for communicating with the public and the media (new technologies and publishing policies)
- Define strategies and run internal communication activities, including internal communication channels
- Plan, coordinate and edit communication products
- Design, write, produce and edit publications in various formats
- Monitor, analyse and digest media information sources in order to produce press reviews. Gather press clips and scan for issues related to Higher Education in Africa
- Update the RUFORUM website, RUFORUM Social Media Platforms and RUFORUM Impact platform
- Organize and hold exhibitions both at national, regional and international levels
Academic and Professional Qualifications or Training
- Preferably a Masters or a minimum of a bachelor’s Degree with at least 3 years of related work in Communication, Public Relations and Marketing or equivalent.
- Certification as a Social Media professional
Minimum of three years’ work experience in a related position.
- English speaker or equivalent. French speaking and writing will be an added advantage
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- Good knowledge of the media and publication world
- Ability to research, establish and maintain relationships with journalists and general public
- High computer literacy with strong working knowledge of Windows Office, Adobe Illustrator Software.
- Demonstrated experience in use of Social Media (twitter, facebook, youtube, blogging etc)
Assets: Flexibility, ability to multitask, detail-orientated and positive; enthusiastic team player; demonstrating ability to solve problems, remain focused, available, flexible.
Applicants should quote the reference number of the job and should attach photocopies of necessary academic support documents, including letters from three referees. Only short listed candidates will be contacted. Interested and qualified persons should submit their applications electronically (firstname.lastname@example.org) to the Executive Secretary, RUFORUM by 5pm on 20th November, 2017
All Applications should be accompanied with the email Subject reference below:
Program Officer- Communication, Publicity and Marketing (REF: RUF/HR/JOB/03/17)
RUFORUM is an equal opportunity employer
Dated 01 November, 2017