The Regional Universities Forum for Capacity Building in Agriculture (RUFORUM) in partnership with The MasterCard Foundation is implementing an eight year programme “Transforming African Agricultural Universities to meaningfully contribute to Africa’s growth and development (TAGDev)”. The TAGDev Programme seeks to transform African agricultural universities and their graduates to better respond to developmental challenges through enhanced application of science, technology, business and innovation for rural agricultural transformation.
This is to announce the 2017/2018 Call for proposals for the Community Action Research Programme (CARP+). The CARP program aims to encourage universities to develop and invest in more comprehensive and sustained action research into a particular geographical area or in a selected commodity along the full value chain. The CARP+ is defined by inclusion of the TVET as part of the CARP engagement that has hitherto not been a focus in earlier approved CARP Projects. This CARP+ Call thus seeks to support projects that innovatively enhance university-led action research and impact by engaging and working with technical/ vocational Education and Training (TVET) institutions. All successful proposals must include at least one TVET institution as a partner, and demonstrate how the project will respond to TVET needs.
This specific Call seeks to extend university activities to work more closely with rural communities through multi-disciplinary and multi-institutional partnerships involving key stakeholders such as research, extension and development agencies, policy-makers, the private sector and TVET institutions as a must. The Call will support proposals focusing on crops and livestock sector value chains of strategic importance in Kenya and Uganda and other African countries that provide opportunity for sustainably moving a significant number of smallholder farmers out of poverty and food insecurity.
This CARP+ 2017/2018 call has two windows:
- Window One: This window is restricted to Egerton University and Gulu University All applications from these two universities should utilize this window as this CARP+ grant is matched to the overall TAGDev project grant being implemented by the respective universities. This window is a maximum of US$200,000.
- Window Two: This window is open to all other RUFORUM member universities. This window is part of the scale-out of the CARP+ projects. This window is a maximum of US$350,000.
Potential applicants are invited to review the detailed guidelines for the Call which may be download here
Important dates for the Call are as below:
- Deadline for full proposals to RUFORUM Secretariat by 31st October, 2017 (23:59 HRS EAT)
- Compliance and External Reviews by 20th November, 2017
- Technical Committee meeting to select and Award the grant 15th December, 2017
- Communication to PIs of shortlisted proposals by 20th December, 2017
- Submission of revised proposals 10th January, 2018
- Grant Agreements signed by 20th January, 2018
For more information please email MCF@RUFORUM unit. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
 A follow up call to award four additional CARP+ projects will be released in August 2018. The call will be open to all RUFORUM member universities.
Important Documents for download
- Annex A CARP +Announcement
- Annex B CARP+ Detailed GUIDELINES
- Annex C CARP+ Application-form
- Annex D CARP+ Logical Framework
- Annex E.1 Budget Window One CARP+W1
- Annex E.2 Budget Window Two CARP+W2
- Annex F CV template